Monday 9 February 2009

Finding Miss Platnum

Every once in a while you find a true star in the making. Romanian-born, Berlin-based Miss Platnum is one of them. Funny, funky and full of soul, she made me a convert to her infectious brand of Balkan Pop after one interview for the April-May issue of WizzIt magazine. A little bit hip-hop, a little bit gypsy horns and violins –with lyrics about fried chicken wings and forced marriages thrown in for good measure– Miss Platnum's 'sound' is not one I would usually be drawn to. But that soon changed. I had her MySpace page on loop while I transcribed the interview and I was singing tracks like "Give Me The Food" and "Come Marry Me" for the rest of the week. Admittedly, the lyrics lose some of their wicked irony coming out of my gob but I suppose I was just enjoying some refreshing lyrics in my ear and on my tongue. Makes a big change from all those faux soul divas who warble on sincerely about love, hurt and bling tings, I tell thee. Miss Platnum says: sing your heart out about something you really love and have a laugh while you do it. I say: you go girl! (myspace.com/missplatnum)

No comments: